Monday, November 26, 2007

Links for this week

I know this isn't a "Michigan football only" blog, but I thought I'd just share a few quick links. If you hadn't heard, Lloyd Carr resigned from the head coaching position at Michigan last week. It was a long time coming; a move Michigan fans had wanted for a while. But while he may have lost his coaching touch the last few years, it was evident that Carr meant more to the Michigan program than just the 1997 national championship and five Big Ten championships during his time.

Carr was a true leader on and off the field. Even reporters will miss him as the Detroit News' Angelique Chengelis wrote in her wonderful column.

Now it's reported that Iowa's Kirk Ferentz has been offered the Michigan position. I just want to comment on this real quickly: I hope this isn't true. Ferentz be a huge step down from Lloyd Carr, as he led Iowa to a 19-18 during the past three seasons. Poor recruiter, average coach. Michigan can do better (see: Les Miles) and should do better.

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, let's move on to some other links.

Jay Bilas had an interesting "what if" piece that seems to be an annual thing, but I find to always be entertaining.

This was a fascinating story about a girl high school cross country runner who has more guts than most people I know. What a truly remarkable story.

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, I know I did. Which reminded me of one of my favorite T-Giving traditions, what made an appearance on ESPN.

I think it's time to catch up with some of our favorite retired athletes: Jake "The Snake" Plummer, Michael Jordan, Otis Nixon, and Pete Sampras.

There is a list I want to pass on real quick that says Brett Favre is overrated. Also, Bill Simmons did a wonderful article about fatherhood and sports.

Two more links real quick that are of the YouTube variety: One is a Simmons-inspired commercial that makes fun of all the NBA commercials about "where amazing happens." The second is maybe the coolest referee call ever. Trust me, this is not one you want to miss.

I'll be writing a Davis Cup Preview on Wednesday before taking off for Portland to attend the Davis Cup.

No comments: